Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Woof! hop hop Meow!

*This is the second time I'm writing this post. Rebekah hit the pretty red light on the surge protector just as I was FINISHING the first draft. I'm still not baby-proof and this is the 4th baby!*

We are going to need an animal permit around here soon. We are growing in numbers! Most of you already know Chocolate. We've had him for almost 3 years. He really needs a home with more land to roam and destroy. He's strong enough to pull me down. But he's a good dog, so we keep feeding him. :)
Most of you don't know that we have rabbits now. It all started about 3 weeks ago when I bought a rabbit at a yard sale. (This might be the strangest thing I've picked up at a yard sale.) I was informed that "she" was named "Ebony." She was a big black rabbit. The kids renamed her "Sally" and we got a baby rabbit from our neighbors - found out they had free ones after I bought this one...but at least we got the hutch and stuff - to give "Sally" company and something more meaningful once he got older. We adopted "Smokey" and after introducing the two, we discovered that "Sally" really was more of a "Sal" and we renamed him to "Shadow." Well, that wasn't going to work, so we traded "Smokey" for his sister which we named "Happy." We later decided that "Shadow" was too much man for little "Happy." I remembered that the man I bought the rabbit food from said he was looking for a male rabbit. I called him up and we delivered our hormonal rabbit that afternoon. They talked us into trading him for one of their females and that's how "Dot" came to join us. "Dot" is white with brown spots and "Happy" is charcol/black.

About a week after all that, Chad was getting ready for a scout campout and found some kittens in the wood pile. After doing a little research on line yesterday, I learned that feral kittens need to be "socialized" (tamed) young or they really aren't going to be tamed at all. So I removed the two kittens from their woody home yesterday morning and put them in the dog carrier. The mother found them yesterday late afternoon and hung around all last night, meowing. We brought them inside this morning. They just have to get a little bigger and stop hissing at us! It should be about two weeks. They are eating canned food and drinking water just fine. They haven't pooped yet which is bad for me. If you know anything about how mother dogs and cats get their babies to poop, you have an idea what I'm up against. The black and white one is male and the white (with a dusting of grey) is female. Anyone want some kittens in a few weeks?

No comments:

Post a Comment