Sunday, July 16, 2006

About Arlyn

I figure a blog should be a little about yourself. My days don't consist of much that is just me, so I rarely write about just me. I thought I would summarize myself, with as much honesty as I can brave and as much tact as I feel prudent (does that make you interested?) I wish I had an outline to keep it all flowing nicely, but you're going to get it off the top of my head. *This took me several sessions to type. It is LONG. You may need to go to the bathroom before you start reading.*

I am 32 years old. Age doesn't bother me. I've worked hard to get this far. The little lines around my eyes and the changing shape of my face do bother me a little.

I am fat. This morning I weighed 172.4 lbs, less than last week. I don't feel fat in my brain, but that's where it ends. I don't like myself this way, but I apparently haven't become desperate enough to REALLY do anything about it. I have lost weight occasionally, but have yet to get back to my 155 lbs of 7 years ago (when I was married). I think why I eat is because my tastebuds are addicted to food. Seriously, I'm not (really) an emotional eater or eat just because I'm bored. I just see a food and think it will taste good. Can't someone make a little calorie-free wafer of taste? Those and some water would do me wonders. Each time I think I'd like to get my weight down before I get pregnant again, I start losing and then once it really gets moving, I get pregnant. Sound like a complaint? It sort of is, in a weird, backwards sort of way. So having said that...

I am ready to have another baby. If I could just lose 10 lbs, I might spontaneously get pregnant. Isn't that how it works? I'm not ready to be sick though. And I wonder if I've exhausted all the things that could afflict me AFTER the baby is born. We have 2 boys and 2 girls. The oldest wasn't quite 5 1/2 when the 4th was born. (And I wonder why I have so much extra fat on my body.) I was pregnant or nursing from March 2003 until this month (July 2006). Very frustrating when you have a cold and can't take anything that really helps it. All babies are born c-section and I am very thankful for modern medicine. One hundred years ago, Daniel and I probably would not have survived, definitely cutting all chances for Nathan, Leah & Rebekah.

I don't have a lot of close friends. I like people and like to get to know new people. It just doesn't seem to be my personality to make a lot of really close friends. You know...the type that know what you'll do next when your child misbehaves, or know why it is that you're so stressed out and how to fix it. I have a lot of "seasonal friends." When I was 8-11 years old, I had a neighbor that acted like I was a great friend until her original friend came to visit and then they both treated me (and my sister) like dirt. In high school I had a friend with whom I was very close and then when I started dating, she seemed to get jealous and started avoiding me. I guess I was supposed to choose one or the other. She didn't notice that I often took a back seat to her extra-curricular activities. Once we got to college, it became even harder to be a part of her circle. Since getting married, I've had a few friends that have been close. Unfortunately, I move more than an average housewife and have lost a lot of those connections. I still have a REALLY GREAT friend in Washington that I hope to never lose. She knows just what to say to boost me up. For the most part, it has been a lot of work to keep in touch with old friends. Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one with a phone book. So, I have let go of some friendships and focused more on local responsibilities (family for one). Here in Idaho, I still am lacking that one (but not limited to one) special friend. It seems I am older than most women with children the same ages as mine. And there aren't many women with as many children in the same age-range as mine!

Some things really annoy me. I get really bugged by a "few" things. I have always looked young for my age. Once, I went in to apply to a temp. agency. The woman there told me I had to be 16 years old. I told her I was 18. She was surprised and apologized. I told her she should see me without makeup! I don't mind looking youthful, but I really don't like to be treated like I'm too young to know what's going on. I'm really quite intelligent, if some people would just give a chance to show it. I don't like fake people. I know when you're putting on a show. This includes cliques. I think a clique is a group of people who refuse to see something positive in a stranger. Mormons are especially good at this because we live our days in very familiar situations. It's hard to open up to something that may seem different. We can be too judgmental. I was recently victim of an online clique. I tried for over a month to connect with someone. It was like I was never even there. (I think one person -a friend who invited me- noticed that I unjoined that group and now I hardly hear from even her.) I don't like having to repeat myself. My kids are helping me work through that annoyance. I think Nathan hears in a different language. Daniel just doesn't care that I'm talking. I don't like rude people in public. I am not invisible, my kids are not invisible, you are not that important. I don't like people who can't keep their word. I live in a great ward here, but there really are some people who don't give any weight to keeping a commitment. One of Chad's responsibilities is to find people to help with moving or yardwork or setting up things at the church, or whatever else the Elder's Quorum is put in charge of. Many people say they don't know what they're doing at that time yet...they'll make it if they can. (I say, if you don't have anything planned, then it seems you've just been given something!) Some people say "yes" and then just don't show. (Way to go on your example for your children!) This weekend, a guy said "yes" but said he would be working in his yard then, so if Chad saw him out there as he drove by, please stop and remind him. Of course, he was conveniently missing when Chad drove by. (I say, a 40-year-old should be able to get himself to an appointment!) I don't like negative people. I go visiting teaching to a woman who doesn't seem to like 85% of the people she meets. She even has (MAJOR) issues with the bishop. I walk out of her home more depressed than when I walked in. Negative people also include those people who are always doing worse than the story they're hearing. I used to have a VTing partner who could "one-up" the old diabetic lady with bad knees that hardly left her home or the negative lady who I've already mentioned. It seemed like the visit was about her, rather than the sisters we were visiting. I think it's just as important to ask questions as it is to answer them! And now that I've been complaining like a negative person about a "few" (not an inclusive list) of the things that annoy me, I think it's time to change the subject.

Some things really make me happy. My children. When Daniel first went into Primary, I had tears in my eyes. When Nathan finally started talking at 3 years old, I had tears in my eyes. When Leah figured out the potty, I had tears in my eyes. When Rebekah figures out something funny, I get tears in my eyes. I had tears in my eyes when each of them was born. I love flowers and we're trying to get our yard to bloom. I'm slowly building a "secret garden" on the east side of our house, where I can escape the heat and enjoy some beauty. So far, it's looking lovely...in my head. I like to make things. I like to sew, crochet, cross-stitch, craft, etc. If I can figure out something on my own, I enjoy the process even more. I often give my things away. I like a clean house. When my house is clean, I'm really happy because that doesn't happen very often. I think that as I move through the house, I create a large pocket of air (kind of like a semi-truck) that blows everything around into a mess again. Or maybe that's just my kids. I like to read. I read when I get the chance. Sometimes I have to make chances. I look hard for books with acceptable language and themes. Some of my favorites are in series. I have read or listened to many of "The Cat Who..." mysteries by Lillian Braun, read many of Beverly Lewis' books - I especially enjoyed her "Abram's Daughters" series. I have read "The Work and the Glory" series by Gerald Lund and Dean Hughes' series..."Hearts of the Children" and "Children of the Promise." I have also enjoyed books by Anita Stansfield, Rachel Nunes, Robert F. Smith (Baptists At Our Barbecue) and Robison Wells. These are a bit of what I've read the past years. I have others to recommend if anyone is interested. I like to spend time with friends. I mostly have to rely on Relief Society activities for this, but I occasionally find a chance to go out with a friend for a couple of hours. I like to sing. I'm pretty sure that I annoy some people when I sing. I like to sing loud. I feel like my testimony is borne through singing hymns and other times, it just makes me feel good. I occasionally get asked to sing for one thing or another, but I have an annoying problem with "stage fright" and so I don't seek out opportunities. I do get nice compliments from kind people, and that makes me feel good. I try to be gracious and not let it hit my pride too much. ;) I like to see my kids "get it." I work all day at teaching my kids to be polite, responsible and just plain good. Once in a while, I get rewarded when I see them do something right. Daniel was known at school for being friends with a particularly difficult personality. We made sure he knew we were proud of him. Sometimes they hold the door open for strangers and I smile inside. Once Daniel told me that he had done something mean to Nathan and he felt bad for causing Nathan to feel sad. And when they do something "right away," without having to be told twice, we do a cheer in honor of the occasion! I tried to make the positive paragraph at least as long as the negative one. I hope I came close!

I have a thing with numbers. I notice when the clock says something like 3:33 or 10:10 or 12:34. If the odometer in the van reads 156,651, I point it out to Chad (who probably thinks I'm a little obsessed). I think it's a sign (or something) when I buy something at the store and it ends up being an even dollar with tax.

I am sentimental. I save things like the kids' hospital bands, their hair from their first haircuts, especially talented drawings (subjective, I know), notes from Chad, etc. I do draw the line at saving dried, yucky umbilical cords and positve pregnancy tests. I like to take note of the last time I do something and feel a little sad if it passes without warning. For example, on my last day of work, I think, "This is my last time I'll swipe my employee card." But one time our vacuum broke while Chad was using it (a small indication of his expert vacuuming skills - some things should be PICKED UP first), and I was sad because I didn't get to savor the last time I used the vacuum.

I am crazy. Refer to story about the vacuum.

I am insecure. I don't like my face. Everytime I look in the mirror, I'm surprised because I don't look like I feel I look. My jaw is square, one eye closes more than the other and my eyebrows aren't even. I worry that someone thinks something unpleasant of me because of something I unknowingly said or did. (I always worried about that when I had to give Enrichment announcements in RS.) I really do want everyone to like me - I really expect that they don't. I don't like my house to be messy when people (including repairmen) come over because I feel that I should at least be able to keep a house clean.

I think people should be able to read my mind. Not really, but it can be pretty frustrated when I'm trying to explain something to Chad and he doesn't understand because I'm saying half of the message and thinking the other half. Why can't someone understand, "It's under the thing." ???? And if I could mentally project, "Check her diaper!" we would all be more relaxed.

I have been out of the country. My first trip "abroad" was to Canada. I know...wow! I served a mission to Thailand and then did my student teaching in Samoa. Those trips required landing in South Korea, Taiwan (airports only) and Fiji, where I spent the afternoon resting on a beach. I have been snorkeling, hiking, shopping, teaching, working, worshipping in lands far away.

I grew up as a Navy Brat. My Dad was transferred every 3 years. I was born while my parents were living at Fort Douglas, Salt Lake City, Utah. From there we lived in Mira Mesa and Poway, CA; Tacoma, WA; Phoenix, AZ; Horsham (township), PA; and Taylorsville, UT. Since I have been married, we have had 4 different addresses within Las Vegas, NV; Ridgefield, WA and Shelley, ID. I had a dream just yesterday that we had moved into a new house!

"I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" I was raised in the church by my mother. My father is not a member of the church. I have had many experiences that confirm the truthfulness of the gospel and have received many blessings through obedience. I pay my tithing faithfully. Sometimes I get confused and have to seek out quiet time to sort things out. There are times that I think, "Boy! When they get to heaven, they're going to see what this all means!" and then I think, "I hope when I die, it's like I'm thinking it is!" I try to support the ward in activities and through my calling. I really do believe that there is no small calling and hope to stay out of the "big" ones for as long as possible. I feel a little let down when my Visiting Teachers or our Home Teachers fail to contact us. I am thankful for a husband who honors his Priesthood and is constant in his instruction to our children. He sets a wonderful example. I like to share my testimony when asked by someone showing interest. I pray almost daily that my example will be positive and reflect the Savior. I am not perfect. I wish I were close. I sometimes feel funny around my family and hope that they know that I am living my life the same behind closed doors as I am around them. I don't treat them any differently if they are "active" or "less active" although it does change how I word things. Does that sound like a contradiction?

I have never gotten a traffic ticket. Knock on wood. I've certainly earned a few. I've been driving for 16 years. Maybe I'm too fast to be caught! ;)

I would like the English-speaking world to learn how to use the following words at the right times: where, wear, were; their, there, they're; than, then; your, you're and the praying ones to use: Thy, Thine, Thou, Thee

I like to watch people. I like to just observe. Sometimes people think you have to be actively involved in something to really enjoy yourself. I think you can learn a lot by just being quiet and watching/listening.

I keep a dictionary by the computer so I can spell things correctly. It's a little anal of me. I don't like to misspell things. I have probably missed something in this post. *I'm so embarrassed.*

I like to watch old movies. I like to watch movies made before 1970. Some of the Disney movies made in the 50's and 60's are fun. Chad and I have been watching old Hitchcock movies and have recently discovered "The Thin Man" series. Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorites. I loved catching Abbot and Costello on Sunday afternoons when I was a kid. I subscribe to Netflix to get my fix. :)

I have a teaching degree. I really enjoy tutoring elementary kids. I enjoy it most when I get paid for it (let's be honest!). I like to see a student who has been struggling with something everyone else has excelled in finally understand. It is such a powerful boost for them! I wish more parents would become deeper involved in their childrens' learning. There are so many benefits to that.

I am lazy. Some people think that I couldn't possibly be lazy with 4 kids. They don't live with me. Ask Chad. I let him do more than I should. I am spoiled.

I am blessed. My husband is wonderful! He is supportive, respectful, helpful, and tries to understand what I need when I'm so difficult to live with. He sacrifices a lot for our family. My kids are a blessing to me as well. I have a nice home, clothes, food and the ability to pay for our needs.

Well, I think that's enough of me. Of course there is more, but let's show some restraint! If you want to know anything more...just ask. Now it's back to the more trivial and mundane life of my kids' naughty antics!

1 comment:

  1. I love the "me" post! Thanks for giving us a little insite to who you really are :)

    ReplyDelete