Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Family History Story

I tried sharing this story during FHE with the Collett Cousins last night and was chagrined to have nearly no details.

The version I told was a little different than the one I actually found. I have a sneaky suspicion that Mom told the story to me with a few extras of her own (she can deny this, but I know how she tells stories!).

Anyway, here is the story, copied straight from the page. This story was told to Marcella (Graham) Allred by her grandfather, William Benona Graham in the spring of 1926 while helping him do his family research. William was a nephew to Margaret Graham, the star of the story.

I am not editing the mechanics or grammar. Just enjoy.

Margaret Graham, daughter of Robert and Catharine (Russell) Graham, a half sister to James Graham who is a son of Robert and his first wife Ann (??) Graham was waiting table in Carthage, Ill. when a group of men came, seated themselves around the table and began talking.

Margaret being a waitress overheard their conversation stepped into the other room, closing the door behind her, peaked thru the keyhole and knew who killed the Prophet and his brother Hyrum.

On telling her story to others, her life was threatened by the mob. Through quick thinking and action, she was disguised as a man, having her hair cut and dawning a stovepipe hat carrying a large cane she was rushed from the city.

The mob was so violent they stopped her carriage, seeking her life, but because of her disguise, her life was spared.

Pretty exciting, huh?

4 comments:

  1. Interesting. Since both my parents are converts we don't have any pioneer stock- or interesting stories about crossing the plains or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. Just came across this post rather randomly while google searching genealogy things. I have ties with William Benona Graham’s family (my great great great great grandmother was one of his step-mothers) and have been researching them and tracking down descendants. Are you related to them as well? I would love to get in contact if you are and to maybe exchange notes. If you’d be interested, please feel free to contact me at JDJames89@aol.com. Best regards, Justin James.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! What a story!! Are u related to William Benona Graham?? He's my GGG grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dierna - William B Graham is my 3rd great grandfather as well. His son, William Walter Graham is my 2nd great grandfather, and I come through his daughter, Alta, who died giving birth to my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete