Tuesday, September 06, 2011

End of "No Candy" Challenge

It's ended.  And it almost seems like a bad thing.

One year ago today (6 September 2010), Daniel made a deal with Chad that if he didn't eat any candy for an entire year, Chad would replace the old bathroom sinks. 

We did not think he would make it.  Daniel is a candy magnet and the schools these days hand out candy like every day is Halloween.  Really, what normal 10-year-old boy makes such a deal?

And then Daniel was doing so well that is surprised me and I told him I would join his challenge if he made it a whole month.  That's when he surprised me again...and I joined.  Chad had seen this coming and had already joined.  (I guess that makes him more supportive of Daniel.)  On October 5th, I binged on candy, hoping to make myself so sick that I wouldn't even miss the candy.  It almost worked.  The next day began my candy fast.

Have you ever gone through Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's Day and Easter without having even one piece of candy?  Very tough.  Very.

I did stay the rules ONCE when Daniel's Primary teacher presented each of the kids in the class with her traditional homemade chocolates.  Hey, it was Christmas! (And Daniel was in tears.)  But he made it through multiple class parties and random candy gifts with remarkable self-control.  There were many times when both Daniel and I just passed our candy to the person next to us.  It's really easier just to get rid of it quickly.  And have you really noticed how many restaurants give out candy with the check?

Up until a month ago, I was still struggling with not being able to reach for a piece of candy after dinner, or in the middle of the afternoon.  And then it was suddenly easier.  I anticipated this day, but not with the eagerness I thought I'd feel.

Daniel was a little more eager and asked me last night if he could have some when he woke up in the morning.  I said definitely not before 10 AM!  At the top of the hour, Daniel was opening a candy wrapper.  But he impressed me again by sharing it with his brothers and sisters.  (Why didn't he offer me any??)

After lunch, I had my Snickers bar that has been sitting on my dresser since Mother's Day.  I hesitated opening it.  Was I really to the end?  Did I really want it to be over?  Was sitting on the back deck with a candy bar the hoopla I had envisioned?  I was going to only eat part of it, but I wasn't excited about a gooey candy bar sitting around, so I just walked around the yard while I slowly chewed.

It was very good.  It could have been smaller and been just as satisfying.  It was a little sad, too.  And the crazy thing?  It didn't really seem like it had been 11 months since I'd last had a candy bar. 

I don't think I will ever undertake such a challenge again, unless it is to support one of my children.  Even a doctor telling me my life depended on it might not keep me from eating a smartie, but a promise to my child would.

Is it wrong to be proud of myself?  Because I feel like I just accomplished something amazing!  I have new respect for Daniel.  I am definitely proud of him!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! To you and Daniel and Chad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! I've done the no candy thing also (to avoid gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy). I was overwhelmed with the addiction that sugar is in our body.

    I read a study in which scientist gave sugar & cocaine to rats. At the end of the study, they gave the rats the choice between sugar or cocaine. They all chose sugar. Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see those new sinks;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be proud! You're amazing! Chad's amazing! Daniel's super amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going a whole year without candy is remarkable, given the fact that there are so many different types of sugars in packaged foods and even fresh fruits, our bodies never have a chance of becoming totally sugar free.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished reviewing your photograph slides. Where do you get the energy to do all that--plus everything else?

    ReplyDelete