Monday, November 10, 2008

Literacy

I love to read. I have read thousands of books in my life-time. I admit to being a self-named escape artist, though. By this I mean that I usually read fiction. I'm reading for the escape. I don't read garbage. Foul language and books with inappropriate content rarely make my reading lists and for this reason, I have OFTEN returned a book to the library without finishing it.

Anyway, I really like books. Chad likes books, too. He's less of a fiction fanatic than I am. He likes to be smarter when he's done reading a book (he already has an escape...it's called an office). Chad reads a lot of history type or church doctrine books. I like those, too, but I usually put the fiction books first on my reading lists.

This is our "library" at home. You can see most of the books here. There are probably another 200 hundred books that don't fit into the picture, or are in other rooms. I started buying children's' books before I was married, so by now we have A LOT. Daniel is starting to really get into reading. Nathan has shown a healthy interest this year, too. Leah wishes she could read. I should make more time to work with her. She'd probably be easier than the boys were. For now, she's having to make do with pretend-reading the stories to Rebekah...


...or this.

This is what greeted me when I woke up from a nap this afternoon. Leah made a path of books that has stops at each door and certain cupboards. I kept trying to get into a deeper sleep, so I spent almost an hour and a half in my room. I was very surprised that she occupied herself quietly so long.

And now I am so glad that we have invested the money into good books for our children. What a payoff this is for me!

3 comments:

  1. I am glad that books have done something for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh...now i know what NOT to get you...more books! or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a creative way to use books. I love to read too. Have you read the series by Shannon Hale? Starts with Goose Girl? That's what we're reading for book club this month.

    ReplyDelete