Thursday, November 22, 2007

A very long update

20 November 2007

This is for all of you faithful friends and family that have been checking our family blog daily hoping that I finally got around to sharing the details of Joseph’s birth.

I have had a hard time finding a good time to blog. The pain medicine I’m on helps with the pain, but slows my reflexes and brain functions. It slurs my speech, too, but at least you’re spared having to listen to that! And if I think I can function well enough, that’s when one of my FIVE kids needs me!

Even now, after I’ve written an entire 2 paragraphs (my hands are a little shaky and my mind won’t focus), I had to take a break to help Rebekah put on her socks and shoes, answer what else starts with ‘s’ besides snake for Nathan and then convince Leah that she CAN put her socks and shoes on by herself. Chad and Daniel will be home in 5 minutes before we all “drive into town” for TaVaci classes this afternoon. Normally, this would just be my job, but since I’m so safe behind the wheel, Chad gets to do the driving.

But I knew this would be nearly impossible to sit down and get accomplished, so I’m typing it first in Word and will post when it’s finally done. I’m hoping for this week sometime.

Joseph is one week old today. While he spends 95% of his time either sleeping or eating, we’ve learned one thing about his personality: he does not like to have his diaper changed! This became quite clear the first days in the hospital. It’s very strange to me. I’ve never had a baby react to diapering in such a manner. Normally, getting his outfit changed falls into the diaper rule, but not as severely. If he cries this bad when the cold air hits his personal space, I can only cringe at the response he’s going to have during his circumcision!

For those of you who don’t know much about our family, all of our babies are born looking identical. Maybe it’s delayed multiples. In fact, after 2 or 3 babies, I was programmed to think that all babies should look a certain way. I get a small shock when I see other newborns that don’t look like a Collett. How is that even possible? Anyway, Joseph was the very same. It was almost a spiritual experience to see him for the first time because I felt like I already knew him!

He is such a sweet little baby (minus the diaper issue). The past few days he’s started having a little time each day where he stares at me through half-open eyes and seems ready to listen to whatever I want to say. He’s so serene and almost seems to exude wisdom. At times like this I just speak slowly and softly and say his name over and over.

I have particularly enjoyed his extremely soft face and hair. If someone could create a cream that had that result, I’d buy it by the case! On the flip side, the rest of his skin has been peeling like crazy. At first, he looked like he had wrinkled tissue paper for skin, but now he looks like a molting lizard.

As for the hospital stay, it was pretty much uneventful (thankfully). I didn’t have any complications. Joseph had a very low jaundice risk. He didn’t have any problems with nursing. In fact, he latched on the very first try and has been latched on ever since! (If you can imagine how that feels, you’re sympathizing with me right now.)

I was awake for the entire c-section, the clean-up afterward and the hour of recovery that follows. (It was during the recovery hour that Joseph got to nurse for the first time.) I have never been awake for the entire procedure. Somehow, I felt a little cheated out of some of the deep sleep I had been anticipating. I still don’t feel like I’ve caught up. But I got to hear most of the Doctor’s conversation and participate in some of it.

It was decided that I’m nearing the limit of my pregnancies. I told the Dr. that we’d like one more, but I’d respect his opinion. He thought I would be fine with one more, but the scar tissue was getting more and more difficult to stitch closed. Someone made a joke that I’d probably get twins and the Dr. said that wouldn’t be a good thing. If any of you know my history, that’s got more than Murphy’s Law to make it happen for me. (So far, I’ve avoided any extra trips to the hospital with this baby.)

I only had one moderately annoying nurse in the hospital and a couple of mildly annoying ones. The rest were awesome. Everyone got all excited about my blood pressure. I guess they don’t see low blood pressure very often. It averaged something like 88/65 but went as low as 75/55ish and all the way up to 112/80ish. They liked to ask me if I felt ok or if I was dizzy. The only time I had any problem was during the delivery when it dipped into the 80’s and I got sick enough to throw up a bit.

We arrived at the hospital at 5:30 AM on Tuesday and left at 1PM on Friday.

I can’t believe that it’s already been a week! Joseph is so sweet (even when he’s using his killer suction on me at 3 AM) and I feel overwhelmed to think that I’m the mother of FIVE beautiful children (some with current behavior problems) and that they are healthy and have the ability to be happy.

To top that off, I have the blessing of being married to Chad, the best man in the world! He’s done so much for me and the kids and I just keep feeling more and more in debt to him. It’s not easy to deal with a hormonal wife, stressed out kids and work on moving a houseful of furniture and food storage within 3 compact weeks.

*
Now it's Thanksgiving evening. Chad worked all day to make the big meal. He is a wonder! I worked the whole day to stay in bed and tend to Joseph. I've got a few pictures of the kids eating their dinner, a movie of Joseph this afternoon and one or two more pics thrown in for fun.
I am very thankful on this day of nationwide reflection. We have a nice home (two actually...anyone want to move to Idaho?), a generally healthy family (although the pharmacist does see our name quite often), temporal and spiritual comforts and a bright future.






2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Arlyn & Chad! I am very happy for you and your family. You are truly blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that someone else I know has low blood pressure. I am glad that you are doing well. I hope you get off those med's soon for the kids sake, you probobilly like it! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete