Sunday, August 06, 2017

There Really Is No Such Thing As Catching Up

I seem to be in an eternal conflict.  Why recording my life publicly is so important to me is hard to understand.  I imagine it's due to moving often and not having an easy escape with friends to share my events and feelings with in person.  So I turn to the next easiest avenue I have...online outlets.

And why not?  It's a great way to keep friends and family updated as well as creates a record of the happenings of our family.  We have a wonderful collection of stories dating back to 2005 of the funny, momentous, and important activities that happen to our family.  So many of the things I have recorded have ended up being new to me later when my kids read them to me in fits of laughter. My memories are not very reliable, unless I write them down!

Unfortunately, once I started using Facebook, the time spent updating the blog became too much.  I was getting nearly instant feedback on my FB posts, and much more attention.  That was enough to keep me going and eventually my blog was ignored.  But not forgotten!  Facebook is great for short paragraphs, but I have a need to TYPE!  I have missed my blog.  I have also missed story-telling.

Because FB is a little too public and less intimate than I'd like, I have struggled with feelings of guilt due to sharing so much.  I attempted to fix that by limiting my friends lists and only sharing with certain groups, depending on the topic.  However, that hasn't been the best answer and I believe that many people have become upset when I have removed them from my friends list despite their inactivity in my FB life or real life.

So I have decided that I will open up my FB interactions to be more public, but less personal, and return to blogging the many details of our life.  If someone is truly interested, they will find their way here and I will be rid of the guilt of over-sharing!

I regret that I can't catch up with everything that has happened since my last blog post.  But there really is no such thing as catching up.  I would never be able to share all the details that have been since forgotten. I can only start from now and try to keep up with current events.


But I can share some recent photos.  Joseph recently got a cat.  It's mainly to help him with his anxieties that have followed him for a few years.  The cat, an orange tabby, is named Rusty.

He's had all sorts of attention, from the dogs chasing him to copious boxes presented for his cat-like hiding.  Joseph and Sarah made this box in Rusty's likeness.  It looks pretty good, don't you think?  I'm not sure how Rusty feels about it.



And in other news, Nathan and I enjoyed a morning of running errands.  One of our stops was Hobby Lobby.  While I searched and contemplated trims for Sarah's dresses, Nathan found some trim of his own. We call this his rapper chains!  lol  We don't really call them anything, but it's what I'm thinking.  I'm glad he's willing to be silly with me sometimes.  Oh, and during this morning out, we stopped to see ourselves reflected in the window of one of the stores.  I can confirm that Nathan is taller than me now.  2017 has been a good year for growing!











4 comments:

  1. Oh yay! I love your blog posts! And your facebook posts, but I agree that it's different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a great cheerleader!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your posts no matter where they are posted. That is amazing that Nathan has shot up and is now taller than you. My grandkids are visiting and they are both taller than me now. Joseph and a cat makes me smile. I hope finds lots of love in that cat.

    ReplyDelete