Friday, January 02, 2009

Happy Birthday, Leah!

Leah is FIVE! This a big birthday in our family because it means you can now (legally) chew gum. That's all they really care about around the 5th birthday. Leah made sure she got a piece of gum today. We should have just gotten her a pack of gum and called it good!

We usually go to dinner at the b-day person's choice of restaurants. Leah picked McDonald's (it was that or Wendy's) and since we had to be out this morning, we turned it into a b-day lunch. They played in the play place until they were sweaty. Gross. We opened presents when we got home. Leah got dresses, shoes, underwear, accessories, a vacuum/ironing board/iron combo and a repaired cradle. (She's been asking about that broken cradle for longer than I can remember - THANK YOU, Chad!)















We had cake after dinner. She requested a baby cake and I did the best I could. I had a hard time really motivating myself. Luckily, I had some doll parts in my sewing room stash (How many people can say that?). It seemed like a well-received cake.
















Joseph had a tete-a-tete with the "baby." hehe









Just before bed, we each gave Leah a coupon for some kind of service. Here's mine.












Overall, I think it was a good day for her. It wasn't without some grumpy looks and folded-arm foot stomping, but miracles aren't always required.

Happy Birthday, Leah! I can't believe you're five years old already! You get to start Kindergarten in the Fall. YAHOO! My little girl is growing up!

3 comments:

  1. That is one crazy cake! I am glad that you got to make it not me. I can't believe she is 5!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that a sippy cup I see on Joseph's tray? I thought you were 'anti-sippy'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are the great sippies that you can throw away with no guilt when they get left under the couch with 1/8 of a tsp of milk in them that ferments and curdles and makes you search your entire house for the source of the stench.

    Happy Birthday to Leah!! Congrats to her on being 'legal'.

    I love the 'gifts of service' idea- we may steal that.

    ReplyDelete