Monday, December 10, 2007

Reflections on Santa

We took the kids Christmas shopping on Saturday. It's a long drive into town so we had some time for a conversation about Santa Claus. I learned a lot from Daniel, our resident Santa expert.

You should know:

The real Santa can't leave the North Pole until the snow is really deep in the place he's going or he'll get sick.

Santa Claus isn't magic and doesn't have a magic wand. Therefore he can't come in through the chimney because he's just too big and fat! He gets in through the door and if that is locked, he breaks a window. (I'll be sure to keep my door unlocked on the 24th.)

The way Santa REALLY gets presents in the house is he flies over the house and drops them down the chimney.

Since Santa doesn't actually come in the house (because he's just dropping presents), he's not the one that eats the cookies. It's Rudolph.

And since Santa Claus isn't magic, it isn't him who gets the reindeer in the air. Again...it's Rudolph.


Daniel is very serious about his Christmas wish list for Santa. He won't tell us what he wants...only Santa. We're trying to convince him that Santa might not bring him exactly what he's wishing for, but it will probably still be something cool and worth keeping! I'm sure this is the last year for the magic for Daniel. Hopefully, he'll help us keep the secret for the younger ones!

We've finally cleared out the old house and it's (mostly) clean. The realtor held an open house on Saturday. He sat there all by himself for 3 hours. It's just not a good time to try to sell a house. Today, I've been trying to put up pictures around the house. I think we have too many pictures. I'm not sure I'm skilled in the aesthetic eye needed for this job. Luckily, Chad isn't either, so he'll be fine with most whatever I do.

We've got our Christmas tree up and a couple decorations. I think I may go easy on the decorating this year. It's just too much at once for me. I did finally write our Christmas letter last night and we took a picture to include. Here is the one I didn't use.

You can see Joseph (or should I say Baby Jesus?) better in this one, so get a good look. Of course, you've likely seen plenty of him already. Hopefully, I'll get the Christmas cards in the mail by the end of the week. (If I'm lucky.)

I shot this picture this morning while I was helping Rebekah get out of her snow gear. This is the ultimate multi-tasking! Unfortunately, he realized fairly soon after this that a laundry basket was holding him and not Mommy. He's now asleep on my chest while I sit slouched so I can type with two hands.

We had a surprise visit from the Stake Presidency last night. All 3 of them were at the door. Coincidentally, it was while we were trying to get the Christmas picture taken, so I'm sure they heard me yelling at Rebekah to look at the camera...which you may have noticed she didn't. Chad is finally getting a calling - in the Elders' Quorum Presidency.

I have already been given a Visiting Teaching assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment