Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Circus 2007


We went to the Shriner's Circus this afternoon. It's no Ringling Brothers, but the seats are closer (also come with some splinters for your discomfort).
The boys liked to see how many chairs the guy could stack. They saw this last year and have since tried it at home with our Little Tikes yellow chairs. Luckily, we only have 3, not 6 or 7.
There was a fun clown that rode a trick bike that kept falling apart. Actually, that was the ONLY clown. What kind of circus was this??
The boys really enjoyed it (despite Daniel's expression). Nathan was very excited to get a snow cone. Rebekah found enough things to entertain her. Leah had a little fever, so she opted to sleep through as much as she could. I probably should have stayed home with her.









I overheard a mother making comments to her daughter during an acrobatic performance. Actually, I think she wanted to be overheard. Anyway, her daughter mentioned how pretty the costumes of the ladies were and the mother replied that they were immodest. (They did give the illusion of being skimpy, but the only actual flesh you could see was hands, neck and up and part of the back. They were after all, costumes. Not a costume I'd ever wear, but fine for performing in.) Anyway, the mother had to continue to say that you couldn't go to the temple in that, etc., on and on. She made me cringe for how her pious comments must sound to the members of other faiths around her. And then I saw what her daughters were wearing. Sleeveless shirts/dresses and skirts with rips and/or safety pins in them. I nearly had to bite my tongue because I wanted to turn around and say, "Uh, you can't go the the temple in those, either!" So you can tell I was irritated.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! I LOVE the circus! I'd be bugged by the commenter as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed you were able to bite your tongue; I'm not sure if I would have!

    ReplyDelete