Thursday, September 23, 2010

Insights on religion

I have recently discovered a collection of books by Harold Bell Wright. I'd heard his name before, but hadn't taken the opportunity to read any of his work.

Mr. Wright was a clergyman. And I feel he was very insightful. He was born in 1872 and many of his writing occurred around the turn of the century. It is amazing to me how the things he wrote about over one hundred years ago are still very applicable today. I guess that is because God is unchangeable...he is the same yesterday, today and forever. And though the world continues to change what it believes the scriptures to say, it doesn't actually change what God is saying.

I just finished, "A Higher Call." This book was also published as "The Calling of Dan Matthews." I recommend this book both as a good story and a text to inspire some personal reflection. The message is generally that we should take care that our "organized religion" does not interfere with living the teachings of Jesus Christ.

There is a particular portion of the text that impressed me this morning. I'm going to share it with you, while hoping that I don't get in trouble for copyright violation!

If churches should make this the test of fellowship--that men must live their doctrines rather than teach them, that they must live their beliefs rather than confess them, that they must live their faiths rather than profess them--imagine the results! Our churches doors would be swung wide open--whether to empty our buildings or fill them would undoubtedly be a subject of fierce debate!

That is such good counsel. And what would it do for us? Which way would we be going through those doors? How many of the people and things we have invested our energies in would we be permitted to keep in our lives?

I would lose some things.

No comments:

Post a Comment