Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Blogging, or Not Blogging

I started my blog over six years ago as a way to keep distant family updated on my growing babies and also a way to write (something I want to do, but don't really have the time to do).

As I have looked back over my posts over the years and had them printed into tangible copies, I have really enjoyed the vivid recounts of little moments that otherwise would have been lost forever. It helped that I had a real audience participating in my stories through the blessing of the internet. The comments left in response were encouraging and really appreciated, but the verbal remarks were more valuable as they gave me a real connection to people.

In 2010, I hit my blogging peak. I was composing blog entries while I mopped the floor, while I drove down the road and every time disaster seemed to strike. If the kids made me laugh with some little quip, I ran to the computer and recorded it. I LOVE reading through those moments!

Even so, my entries have always been motivated by my audience (real and imagined). My journals are influenced in the same way, though writing by hand is much slower and the pictures don't load very easily. I write for an audience, though I expect that my journals will be read after I am gone (at least I hope that I can trust those around me to respect me enough to never pry without permission).

Lately, my real and imagined audiences have decreased. The motivation went with them. It troubles me some as I think of the moments I am no longer recording, but it does seem a blog without an audience is really only a public journal. I no longer consider it worth my time to prepare and upload pictures and tell stories.

As I have thought over the demise of the blog, I have considered how different variables have affected it. The first problem was that I joined Facebook. If I put on FB, it seemed to ease the urge to blog about it. Plus, I was getting way more response that way!

A second problem is a family problem. I have struggled with this for years now. I claim much of the blame, but have little to be proud of in any resolutions. The truth is, I don't speak with one of my sisters. She made it clear enough how she felt and I finally gave up trying to fix it. Another sister is too busy. I know she doesn't read the blog. She has admitted it to me. My brother interacts with me via FB and I have appreciated his efforts to connect. Even so, he's a guy and the connection is different. I haven't spoken to my mother since February 2nd. The few times before that I attempted to talk with her were cut short. She says she doesn't have time to talk. I guess she prefers indirect contact. She recently started commenting on my posts more, but nothing in real time.

The distant relationship with my family has taken a toll on the blog. Sometimes I don't want to blog because I don't want them to know what is happening in my life. If they were to call, I don't know if I would answer the phone. So what is it? Do I want contact or not? I don't even understand what I am thinking!

On the other hand, I have regular contact with my Dad. Usually, we don't even agree about the things we discuss, but I know he is interested in what I am saying. The blog does help us in keeping the conversation fresh and moving. Our conversations can last 2 or 3 hours. And then I have to charge my phone!

A third factor is a trend I have noticed repeats itself way too often: I keep losing friends. I have pondered on this endlessly and cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. The friends that used to comment on my blog are now silent and their absence causes me to lose confidence that I am blogging about something of value.

The last reason for the decline in my blogging (that comes to mind) is the struggle that I have with being proper and avoiding topics too controversial. The times I did relax and share strong emotion seemed to cause greater tension. Well, if I can't be honest about how I feel, what the heck am I doing? My life isn't all flowers and sunshine...sometimes it's tornadoes and stink weeds! If my sister doesn't want to accept my multiple apologies or my mom really isn't interested in what happens in my life or my friends can't remember the 7 digits that make up my number, why in the world should that dictate what goes into my blog?

So the question I have pondered is, what is the purpose of my blog? Obviously, it's not to keep my family connected, but Chad's family is gracious and comments occasionally. Apparently it's not to give my feelings a voice. I'm not someone with hundreds or thousands of readers (if I have 20, I'm surprised).

I am not posting any of this to cause a firestorm or get a bunch of sympathy comments. Things are what they are...I've only stated what I consider to be facts, without emotion. However, I would like to know if there is any reason to continue this blog. Does it serve a purpose, other than giving me a record of my family's activities? Is there anything here that can't be shared via FB? Maybe I should go private and really know who my audience is. I appreciate any insight.

9 comments:

  1. Not that I'm insightful at all, but I for one would truly miss your blog. I enjoy hearing and seeing what's going on in your life and I think you're a talented writer. For what it's worth. And I suck at sympathy - so we all know that doesn't apply! However, if it's not worth it to you anymore, than you shouldn't feel any obligation to continue. Even though it would make me sad if you didn't. I do think your kids will enjoy it all later - which is a good reason to continue. And I'm sorry about the family problems. And now I'll quit, before I have the world's longest comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness! I'd be totally bummed if you stopped the blog. I have noticed fewer posts from you recently, and I've missed them. I know that my opinion doesn't carry much weight, since we've never actually met. But for what it's worth, I have you listed in my "Friends" folder on my blog reader. :)

    Ultimately, I agree with Monica. Do it for your kids! This isn't just a public journal; it's a family history, complete with great pictures and hilarious stories. So go back to blogging all the little details of life cuz your kids will LOVE reading them someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not on facebook - nor do I intend to be - so I would miss the insight into your life.

    You could go private if you invite me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that facebook is more interactive and easier to share things on. But things tend to be shorter there and it's so fun to see all the details on the blog. My problem with private blogs is that I loved in the early days of blogging where you could blog surf into blogs of friends who you hadn't seen in years and years. You can't do that so much anymore because so many blogs are private. Which is fine. It's also a little awkward (at least for me, but most things are awkward for me) to say, "hey--I noticed you had a blog that's private, can I read it?" And it doesn't automatically update on the blog roll, but let's be honest, I check blogs multiple times a day anyways. I agree that you're a good writer and I love reading your stories. One plus of private blogs is that you don't have to type the annoying words to comment--that's become my pet peeve lately. It's hard to blog when no one comments--I usually end up calling people and saying, "So have you read my blog post yet? Are you going to comment?" But I'm annoying like that. I think we all go through phases of commenting and not commenting and caring about comments and not caring about comments. I like that my kids know their cousins more because they look at pictures of them all the time and hear stories about them.

    Um, long ramble later, I think you should keep blogging. It lets people get to know you and helps people feel connected in a different way than facebook (and a different way than phone or in person).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rats! I totally lost the shortest comment contest. Sorry for the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...I love your blog!. I probably ck it out a couple of times a day (snoop, snoop).I think you have wonderful ideas, are funny, have a cute family, and I have a hard time talking to people so this has been a fun way to get to know you. LOVE the pics of your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should ultimately blog for yourself, your personal history, your family memories, etc. But for me personally, I enjoy reading your blog and seeing a different person than myself in a similar situation and how you deal with things both differently and the same. You actually do have a gift for writing too, so often you will say things that I can only think but wish I knew how to write down. And no, I don't facebook and won't

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone has made all the good points. I agree! Love reading your posts, not just for the updates on family but also for the writing. Love seeing pictures (as does Cordelia) so we recognize you guys when we get to see you. :) Hope you continue to blog (I don't Facebook, either) if you can enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No one comments on my blog either. I found that I blog more for myself than for others. If you really ever want to connect with some sort of family your welcome to call me as well. I hope you still have my number. Don't be discouraged that people don't comment. Blog for yourself and the kids.

    ReplyDelete