Saturday, February 11, 2006

Mud and worse

I came home from taking the 3 youngest kids to the doctor on Wednesday and saw that Daniel was entertaining 2 girl friends. (Go Daniel!) ;) Shortly after I got home, the phone rang and I tried to answer it. The phone wasn't working properly and I couldn't get it to answer the call. (It only turned on the back light and "talk" flashed.) Chad answered the call downstairs and the whole time I was still trying to get the phone to work. Upon investigating, I discovered that the phone was wet - mostly in cracks. I thought maybe Chad used it with wet hands. After getting off the phone, Chad came upstairs (I'm still stubbornly trying to get the phone to respond). He denied getting the phone wet, so I called to Daniel and asked him why the phone was wet. "Oh. Hailey had to call her mom and her dropped it in the mud." I of course questioned the fact that they didn't use the phone inside (with less chance of finding mud). Then it came to me. "Did you wash it?" "Yeah." So miraculously, a cordless phone can be dropped in the mud, be washed and live to work again.

And part two of my story gets a little dirtier.

Wednesday night I was at the church when the kids went to bed. Later, I stumbled into the girls' bedroom to feed Rebekah (somewhere around 1 AM). I sat down in the rocking chair to feed her and started clearing a space around my feet. I ended up pushing away something cold and clammy and solid. I can usually recognize what I'm stepping on because I've seen it on the floor sometime during the day. I couldn't think what I had kicked, so I picked it up. Even holding it, I couldn't identify it. Of course, I began to have some ideas. I thought the kids probably brought some food in and left it on the floor. I even wondered if it was a drying up slice of tomato (if only).

Oh, did I mention that Leah is getting VERY interested in sitting on the potty? She took her diaper off twice during the day and did a flash dance for us all.

And now that I've mentioned that, you may know what I was about to discover in the middle of the night. Since I couldn't figure out what I was holding, I smelled it. Wouldn't you? Of course you would. UGH!!! I threw it back to the floor and used my one remaining clean hand to return Rebekah to her bed (she'd only been nursing for about 30 seconds and was not happy at the neglect). I grabbed a wipe and wiped off my fingers and toes, turned on a light and found a ball of poop that had rolled out of Leah's last discarded diaper and sometime since had been smashed to resemble an oblong hockey puck. YUCK!!! After putting it BACK into the diaper, I cleaned up the floor (as best I could in the middle of the night) and then washed my hands and used another wipe on my toes.

The mystery of it all is I still don't know who smashed it. I certainly know I didn't do it. I'm sure I would have noticed that!

1 comment: